Diary of Ongoing Lessons19th March, 2017
March – April 2017
As usual my present workload’s quite varied and challenging – which is how I like things to be.
Contents of lessons this last month (and a bit) have so far included:
- Grades 1 to 4 classical guitar – pieces, scales, sight reading.
- Lead guitar breaks and chord voicings in various Beatle songs
- Fingerstyle arrangement for solo guitar of ‘Ripples’ by Genesis
- Various songs by My Chemical Romance
- Various songs by Ed Sheeran
- Various songs by U2
- Teaching sight reading to pupils of vastly different age range
- Teaching blues: its basic form; scales in various keys; typical phrases; improvisation.
- Harmony: Roman numerals outlining chord progressions.
- Big Band comping
- Transcription of violin and guitar parts of ‘Night and Day’ by Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli.
- Pieces by J. S. Bach, Mauro Giuliani
- Transcription of guitar solo by George Barnes
- Analysis of Cream’s ‘Sunshine of Your Love’
- Transcriptions of songs by Mississippi John Hurt
- Transcription/arrangement for fingerstyle guitar as well as harmonic analysis of ‘This Guy’s In Love With You’ (Bacharach/David)
- Jazz improvisation
- Bluegrass cross-picking
- Arrangement for fingerstyle guitar of ‘Daydream’ (Lovin’ Spoonful)